Thursday, January 17, 2013

We made it to Hong Kong!

We're here!!!  It is Friday morning here in Hong Kong and it is very cool to be on the same time zone as Jaden!  The flights were very easy and other than that first blip of our OKC to LAX being broken, there were no problems at all.  I have to admit though, with each long wait in line, or wait for food or drinks or bumpy flight, I wondered how different the trip will be with a 3 year old with almost no world experience.  Wow, prayers please.  :)  Do you remember looking down at your very large belly when 9 months pregnant and thinking..."Um ok.  What have I gotten myself into?"  I'm thinking the flight home may be a little like that journey.  Wonderful outcome with some painful hours in the beginning.

I can't believe that Jaden only has 3 nights left in his orphanage!  Isn't that an incredible thought?

Tim's writings / thoughts for the day: As we were sitting in the airport in LA last night I was thinking about distances and how amazing it is to be able to travel such distances to get our son!
  At the start of the journey we were 11,589 miles away from Jaden
  By Wed night in LA we were down to 10,445 miles 
  Well, right now we are in Hong Kong and we are 764 miles away.   
  By this evening we should be in Nanjing and we will be 189 miles away.
  And Monday (Sunday night in Oklahoma) that distance will reduce to zero!

Every time we think about Jaden or talk about him we have to worry about how he will be feeling now and in the days to come.  While we have Christ's assurance that in the long run all will be well, Jaden does not have that assurance now. I have to wonder how I would react if someone came into my house and told me that I was moving to a new country, moving away from everyone I've ever know, moving to a new culture where every experience is new ... I can't imagine that I'd be in a great state of mind, or that I would be very happy to see them, or that I would be very much fun to be around ... and that would be looking at it from my perspective and life experiences as an adult.  I cannot begin to imagine what that may be like for him.

I did get a little bit of a boost from the Holy Spirit as we were going through the Honk Kong airport, of all places.  On the escalator there is a sign that says "Take care of children & the elderly."  Thanks God!  


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog and letting us be with you virtually (as well as in prayer!!!). Love to you all!!!!! (Brenda N.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news ... I've been wondering all day how it's been going with you guys. I've got a pretty good feeling that he will adapt much better to the new environment than an older child. And the adjustment period will be minimal compared to the lifetime of love you two will provide. Safe travels, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I really appreciate the support. Sometimes it hurts even knowing it will be the right thing in the long run. (I cried with they did Laura's first heal stick in the hospital too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very excited for you all! We have had many friends go through this experience, but the stories still make me cry. Prayer for all you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are in our prayers -- smiles are a univeral language. Love you guys - Shelley and Bing

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are praying for you every step of the way. Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Shelley very quietly told me once when I was worry about my son going to Afghanistan..."God is in Afghanistan too..." I had forgotten! We have prayed the Holy Spirit will go ahead of you to prepare your way there. I know it will be difficult for Jaden, BUT God's love emanates from you two something fierce! Jaden will see that love and God will give him peace. Love you guys. Still praying on the Home Front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement. :) He's going to be fine. I know it in my heart. Hopefully it won't take too long.

    ReplyDelete