Thursday, May 7, 2015

Jie Jie answers FAQ :)

Hey everybody. It's Laura. Jie jie. Big sister. Wawa. Walrus. I have lots of names these days. Anyway. I'm writing a blog post for three reasons:
1. I'm supposed to be finishing up my personal statement for my residency application and I am the queen of procrastination.
2. It's been awhile since mom posted anything. It's like she has 5 kids to keep up with or something. Whatever.
3. I get asked the same questions over and over when people find out about my family. Maybe some of you have the same questions. Maybe not. Either way, here's a little FAQ session for you all!
Q: Did your parents ask you before they started adopting?
A: I've been asked this so many times, for each adoption. And the answer is yes. Absolutely yes. This was a family decision from the start. It's one I'm glad we made, and I'm especially glad we made it together as a team.
Q: What's it like having siblings so much younger than you? Do you get confused for their mom a lot?
A: It's obviously a big gap, but I like to think it helped mom and dad to have older kids helping take care of the little ones. Yes, people think I'm Jaden and Katie's mom sometimes. Probably more often than I realize. But I guess I should be honored that they think I could raise such beautiful and well-mannered children. And to be fair, sometimes Jaden does accidentally call me Mama. So it's an honest mistake. Really it's only a problem when people call Mom "Grandma." (Seriously. Don't do it.)

Q: Your parents sure are brave/faithful/big-hearted/loving/generous to adopt so many kids, aren't they?
A: They are some of the most brave, faithful, big-hearted, and loving people I know. But I don't like the use of the word "generous." Yes, it's true, they are incredibly generous. They lavish us all with attention. But adoption isn't about being generous. Adoption isn't charity work. If your biological child was stuck in a different country all alone, would it be considered generous to bring them home? Of course not. It is understood that you would do anything you could to get your child, BECAUSE IT IS YOUR CHILD. Why should it matter where (or to whom) they were born? Sorry. I'll get off my soap box now. My parents are wonderful people who do everything they can for their children. Let's leave it at that.  :)

Q: Are you going to get to go with them to get Ian?
A: It looks like the answer is YES! It just so happens that the adoption is going to fall during my vacation month. As far as Mitch, he may get to go with us. He may have to join us after Gotcha Day because he has already committed to a mission trip during the time we're likely going to leave.


Q: How do you stand the cuteness every single day???
A: I don't know. I like to think of it as my superpower. But really I nap a lot, so maybe that's an adaptive mechanism to avoid constant exposure to the little balls of adorableness that are my bebbe siblings.
 





That's all I have. Hopefully mom or dad can add some cute pictures (because, really, we know that's why you read the blog). And hopefully you'll be hearing more from us soon!

1 comment: