Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Newest Sanford!

















So it is official!  Today we went back to the civil affairs office for the final adoption signatures.  Yesterday, we just signed papers that said we will keep him safe for 24 hours and today we had to promise that we would not abandon or abuse him and would treat  him equal to our other children.  We spent more time with the women from his orphanage and talked about his schooling and swi behavior.  It turns out he got into trouble at school for the last month because he knew he was coming home and didn't think he needed to study there anymore.  I guess I can see his point.  :)   He is able to read (Chinese) and he had to write a statement saying he wanted to be adopted.  Just for a minute, I sweated a little.  He happily wrote it and signed it!  :)  :)  I always said, and Laura reminded me today,  that I would NEVER adopt a child old enough to say no.  Ha.  God listens (and laughs) doesn't he.  I had also said previously that I would never adopt a heart baby.  Even though it was clearly in her paperwork, I never saw it on Katie's paperwork until after we had already said yes.  I asked Tim if he had seen it and he said, "Sure, its in the file several places."  Very weird that I never saw it.  As it turns out, Katie's heart issue was completely resolved when we got her home.  I don't think I've said never about anything else.  :)  :)

He has been very easy.  He seems to like American food  and I felt a little bad at the meeting when they were talking to Ian before the meeting got started.  They asked him what he had eaten (hamburger, fries, pizza and cookies).  I wanted to say, but thought it might sound a little defensive, that we let him chose.  I hadn't thought about it until then that he made all American food choices.  :)
Maybe that is what drove him to have such a strong opinion about coming to America, the food!  We found out today that he was very serious in wanting to leave China.  Maybe later, he will be able to tell us why.

He needs lots of motion and wants to go, go go.  Earlier today, we walked the river that runs in front of the hotel and also walked to the local Wal-mart.  He loves to be carried but it isn't really about wanting off his feet so much as into someone's arms.  Baba keeps putting him on his shoulders and sister gives piggyback rides.  He also will sometimes climb into a lab like a baby.  I think he just has a need to be held.  He also loves to grab Jay and pick him up.  (Which of course, J loves and squeals about.)  I can't wait to see him at the Safari  park!  Everytime we see a bird or a dog or a cat, he gets excited.
So far it is going almost scarily well.   All three of our adoptions have just been so easy, I think both of us sort of feel like we are waiting for the other shoe to drop.  It may take a little while to simply trust that this is really what it will be like.

Time to get moving here!  It is now 6 am and we have to be down to meet the guide quickly after breakfast for our Panda adventure.  Prayers for strong legs and backs..  :)
I'll try to add some pics later!
Blessings y'all

1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing to see God in motion. I love, love, love it! You're an Amazing family. I'm so glad Ian is blending well, accepting his family, and being shown GODs love. Enjoy your adventure! I'm staying tuned :)

    ReplyDelete