Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Not always butterflies and rainbows! :)

Well, we had our first real foot kicking, tear-streaming, tantrum this morning.  He got told "no" twice in a row and that was just too much!  Baba was talking to me and wouldn't stop mid-sentence to play and then I had the bad judgement of saying no "Despicable Me"  before breakfast.  In fact, the tantrum was probably partly due to the not having had breakfast yet but to a 3 year old, sometimes 2 nos in a row is just more than they can handle.  I held him in my arms and let his little heels drum the couch while I sang "Jesus loves me" and "Amazing Grace" until he settled.  Which he eventually did. 

Now, three hours later and a bowl of cereal, 2 apples and some trail mix later, he is finally getting to watch his movie.  I wonder when he watches it does he understand that the girls are living in an orphanage and that they get adopted?  It is one of his go to movies when he is upset with me and each time I wonder if he understands that plot of the movie on some level.

In two days, Jaden will have his surgery.  It looks like he will now be the 9:15 spot because a child younger than him is now on the surgery list.  He will have to be at the hospital at 7:45 am, which means leaving home at 6:50 or so.  I am worried that without food we may get to see tantrum #2.  Honestly, I'm more worried that he will think we are withholding food arbitrarily and that that may damage his trust in us some.  Praying that he sleeps until right before we have to leave and that he doesn't have one of his ravenously hungry wake-ups. 

When Laura was little and had surgery and found out she couldn't have breakfast, she tried to negotiate:  "Cracker?"  nope, "Water?"  nope...but we could explain it a little better to her.  She doesn't seem scarred from it, hopefully Jaden will adapt as well as his sister.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment