Saturday, February 2, 2013

Coming Home, at last!

It is Sunday February 3rd and we are coming home!  As I type this is is 430 in the afternoon, yesterday for everyone at home.  The funny thing with this leg of the trip is that we are flying with the sun and so time sort of stands still.  We leave at noon on Sunday and after 22 hours of travel, we get in to Tulsa at 4:30 the same day.  It will be a very looong Sunday for us.  Anyone who would like to is welcome to meet us at the Tulsa airport at about 430 pm.  Just know that we may be exhausted and cranky like anyother (parent of  a) 3 year old!  ;)

Yesterday, we went to Hong Kong Disney for the day.  We got free tickets included with our hotel room and weren't sure that we would use them as we weren't sure that he would be able to handle the stimulation.  After his success at the Safari park, we decided to try it.  He did great!  His orphanage was not one that was able to take the kids out on field trips.  As far as we know, the only times he was out of the orphanage for any length of time was the 2 hospitalizations in Shanghai.  He did spend Saturdays with one of the Ayis fairly frequently, so maybe she took him other places.  Regardless, he was a chanp.  He had the normal 3 year old issues.  Disney was very smart when he planned a pass-through of the gift shops after every major ride!  We got away with just one purchase though.  He loves to people watch and is such a flirt!  He can be in a terrible mood but let a pretty girl get in line behind us and he perks right up.  His flirty smile can light a room.  He loved all of the rides and even did Space Mountain!  (Did I mention he is a TALL 3.5 year old?)  We didn't do the parachute drop because I wasn't sure how he would handle that sensation.  We have been in planes, trains and automobiles and let me tell you, most of the taxi drivers here are WAY scarier than the roller coasters.  He loves the crazy driving and so I felt comfortable he would like a small roller coaster.  Maybe when he can speak English and I can explain the ride to him we will try the drop rides.  I can't wait.

He loved all the snacks at Disney.  He has eaten his first chocolate covered, Mickey-shaped ice-crearm.  He is a slow eater and tends to savor every single lick.  Some of the other former-orphans that we've been around tend to gobble and I doubt he has had many sweets in his life but he did great.  One of the other littles is much, much slower than Jaden; she tends to chew each bite oh, about 100 times.  It makes her daddy nuts!  (Any better on this Katie?)  She is a tiny little doll Jaden's age who weighs 15 lbs less than him.

The only negative at Disney (and I don't count normal, occasional 3 year old whining as terribly negative) was some of the older Chinese folks response to Jaden.  In China, they have very little religion but a lot of tradition.  One of their traditional beliefs is that orphans are unlucky to be around.  (Like losing your parents is contagious right?)  The younger folks don't seem as entrenched in this belief, thank goodness.  Perhaps this will be a thing of the past for coming generations.  Occasionally, I would see an older adult glaring at Jaden.  I have tried to be very respectful of the culture while I am here but this, nope, I can't understand or respect.  Anytime I noticed it, I would step between my child and their line of site and glare back.  Most had the grace to look away.  I think he was oblivious to it. My worry was that someone would say something in Mandarin that he would understand but we wouldn't.  As far as I can tell that never happened to him.  A friend had an older woman say something in Mandarin to her child that set her child back terribly.  I am so glad that didn't happen to Jaden as I don't really want to extend my time here.  I'm thinking Chinese prisons probaby aren't very nice.







I wish I could post a video of Jaden leaving the park.  He was skipping and swinging his arms and then he was laughing like a loon when the crazy taxi driver was taking us back to our hotel at warp speed.  It was so good to see him be just a normal kid.

1 comment: